Saturday, December 8, 2007

Pride, arrogance and humility.

It was a laidback wednesday morning. I had been drinking chai with my colleagues when it happened. My manager walked up and said "It will not do, that tool which you built is just not good enough. You have got to improve it! Everyone is cribbing. It is so much hard work for them."

Flashback :-
3 weeks back I got the idea and started working on this software tool which would solve our equipment crisis! Though in hindsight it seems to be a very simple idea, I assume that it was not that simple as no one got it till then. Its advantages are so much that it was just mind boggling that no one thought about it before. Before I get carried away - I cannot tell you the exact details of what the idea was or what the tool does, it is confidential. Anyway, so I got this tool done in 2-3 days flat. Surprisingly, it was as if I was on steroids, hardly slept, I was too excited. Though there were some glitches and caveats, the tool was working for 80% of the cases. But soon people were not satisfied. They started blaming me for not solving the problem completely! When I tried to explain the corner cases and have a discussion so as to come up with a better solution, I was given the cold shoulder. No one really understood what I was talking about! It was frustrating. But I put my foot down finally and said that this is how it is, take it or leave it. I will be able to improve it only when I think further, research a better solution or get another idea. Until one fine day my manager came and said "It will not do, that tool which you built is just not good enough. You have got to improve it! Everyone is cribbing. It is so much hard work for them."

Present :-
It struck me.. another idea, I almost spilt my tea on my manager. I just ran from there like a mad man. Must have said eureka too perhaps. By evening I had it ready. Can you beat that I thought! 2 ideas in 1 month for a problem which people had been slogging for years now! I was brimming with arrogance. In fact I just spent hours looking at what I had created. Almost Narcissism.

Yesterday I went to answer my test in IISc. The Prof. has asked me to submit my project proposal. I had a couple of ideas. I went to the IISc library to see if they can be implemented and how. There I see a shelf of books on the rutherford model. I remember how I promised myself that I would study this as a kid. I go ahead and come across the latest German journals on Networking. I remember how I promised myself I would learn German. Many more before I go ahead and start looking for what I wanted to in the IEEE journals. I find that not only my couple of ideas have been implemented already but are also being sold as products in the market! I have learnt my lesson in humility! What I have done makes me proud, but what I am capable of, and all that I am yet to do makes me humble. The IISc library does that to people, It is after all one of the largest in the world. http://www.library.iisc.ernet.in/aboutus/aboutus.html

4 comments:

Sushmita said...

good blog.
I'm curious.
What did you say to your manager then?
could you quote those wonderful words?

mostly harmless said...

I did not say anything. I just made the new version of the tool :). Its uses are still talking to my manager on my behalf. I still don't know what to say to my manager! But yes he has acknowleged that the tool is saving a lot of time, money(tons) and energy.
And yes, he has again asked me to make more such tools. And I daresay that they are on the way ;)

Vips said...

Hey Sid,
I can't resist myself from asking how much r u making by offering to save that money for ur manager(tons) or say ur company

mostly harmless said...

I noticed Vipin's comment today! damn..
Anyway here goes (sorry man if I bored you) :-

Every cause has some effect (in the past). We as human's understand the law of causality really well(a self evident axiom. For more look at "causality" in wikipedia. Essentially I work (cause) for 2 desired effects :- 1) Happiness out of creativity+accomplishment.
2) making more money.

While I am in more or less complete control (necessary and sufficient cause lies within me) of the 1st effect, the 2nd effect depends on many many causes. blah blah blah. So by saving all that amount, I only hope to maximise my chances of 2.